Nothing says Christmas like a glass of warm mulled wine. For those that are looking for a traditional recipe, or anyone wanting to enjoy a twist on the classic, Welsh distillery Aber Falls has three great recipes for family and friends to try this festive season.
Traditional mulled wine:
The recipe serves six and takes five minutes to prepare, with 15 minutes cooking and 30 minutes infusing.
750ml bottle red wine
One large cinnamon stick, or Two small ones
Two star anise
Two strips lemon zest, pared using a vegetable peeler
Four tbsp caster sugar
100ml of sloe gin (optional)
1. Put the red wine, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, lemon zest and sugar into a large pan. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from the heat to cool and infuse for about 30 minutes.
3. To serve, heat it again without boiling, stir in the optional sloe gin and pour into mugs or heatproof glasses to enjoy.
Aber Falls’ Orange Marmalade Gin Mulled Wine
If you’re looking to add a kick to the festive favourite, then Aber Falls has created a unique mulled wine with notes of orange using their Orange Marmalade Gin.
The award-winning Gin has a delicate balance of sweet and bitter orange flavours, complimented with the pine flavour of juniper.
The result is a citrus hit with a warming aftertaste, guaranteed to tickle your tastebuds.
A bottle of red wine
One large cinnamon stick
Two star anise
One bay leaf
One orange cut in half and squeezed
Half a lemon
25ml of Aber Falls Orange Marmalade Gin
1. Put a bottle of red wine, one star anise, four cloves, one bay leaf, one orange cut in half and squeezed, half a lemon and 25ml of Aber Falls Orange Marmalade Gin to a pan
2. Put all ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil, then simmer for 25 minutes
3. Garnish with an orange slice and cinnamon stick for some festive décor
Aber Falls Salted Toffee Liqueur Mulled Apple Juice
For those who are not a fan of mulled wine, then Aber Falls’ Salted Toffee Liqueur Mulled Apple Juice offers a rich and intense alternative to enjoy during the winter evenings.
Created in collaboration with our friends Halen Môn on Anglesey and sourced directly from the Menai Straits, the clean, intense notes of Anglesey Sea Salt combined with rich toffee flavour for the perfect combination of salty and sweet.
One litre of Aber Valley Apple Juice
One cinnamon stick
50ml of Aber Falls Salted Toffee Liqueur
1. Add Aber Valley Apple Juice, one cinnamon stick, three cloves, orange peel and Aber Falls Salted Toffee Liqueur to a pan
2. Boil contents and bring to a simmer for 25 minutes