By the time Indria Tuckler realized that the dog toys she had brought home for her 14-month-old golden retriever were unsafe, it was already too late.
Tuckler had purchased some “rope toys” for her dogs that looked “extremely sturdy” at the time. That same day, she found them torn and shredded to pieces. Immediately, she threw away the debris that was left, and she only hoped her dogs hadnt swallowed any.
Sadly, that was not the case. The retriever pup, Sam, experienced vomiting and diarrhea, and died two days later. Three feet of rope was found in her stomach, along with chunks of perforated intestine.
After the unfortunate experience, Tuckler made a point of sharing the lesson she had learned for the benefit of other dog owners. She went online and posted a warning to Vizsla Dog Lovers Facebook page.
“Dangerous rope toys! Beware!!” she began. She explained that the common yet deadly toys are sold in major outlets like “Petsmart, Petco, Homegoods, Marshalls and TJ Max.” Tucklers post continued:
The ball unraveled and tore several holes in her intestines as she tried to pass it […] The damage from the rope was so extensive that she passed away two days later.
We did not even have the option of having another surgery. She quickly became septic and bled from her intestines into her stomach […]
The danger lies in the rope. The ball unravels into several feet of rope that dogs can swallow.
Linear objects pose more danger because they travel along the intestines causing more damage as they clinch the intestines into a tight ball.
Dangerous rope toys! Beware!!Warning to all dog owners! I purchased several rope toy balls for my dogs at Home…