Borderlands 3 is out – so one questions you might have is, Who are the characters and what can they do? Let us explain…
For those unfamiliar with Borderlands 3, its an action role-playing first person shooter where one of the main selling points is how funny it is. As is the norm for a new Borderlands game, you get one of four new Vault Hunters to choose from at the start your loot-filled journey.
Each Vault Hunter has their own set of skills and unique special abilities, but instead of having only one at their disposal, they will now have three. There are four characters to pick from: a soldier, siren, operative, and beastmaster – all with their own very… individual personalities.
Each skill tree begins with one of the three action skills available, and beyond that contains an array of augments and passive abilities. Augments affect your active action skill, while passive abilities offer upgrades to stats.
Amara – the Siren class from Borderlands 3
A hero born in the slums, Amara feels most at home on the battlefield. Never content to stand idly by, she uses her Siren abilities to smash anyone who opposes her. Brash, aggressive, and self-assured, she doesnt like anything to stand in her way.
Amara uses her unique siren powers to manifest ethereal fists to use as deadly weapons. She can wield three abilities with her gift.
Fists of the Elements – focuses on elemental damage
- Phasegrasp – summons a giant ghostly fist from the ground that locks onto targeted enemies and holds them in place. If immune from being locked, they will take instant damage instead.
Brawl – focuses on melee and close-quarters entertainment
- Phaseslam – leaps high into the air and slams the ground, dealing damage to all enemies close by while also sending them skyward.
Mystical Assault – focuses on a stacking mechanic that increases the action skill Phasecast
- Phasecast – launches Amara forward as an astral projection of herself and deals damage to everything in her path.
Moze – Gunner class from Borderlands 3
Moze is a battle-hardened veteran who initially fought for Vladof when her entire squad was wiped out during a suicide mission. Being the only survivor, together with her mech Iron Bear, she embarks on the journey of a Vault Hunter.
Mozes action skill involves the use of her Iron Bear – who is essentially a walking tank. Depending on what skill tree you choose, you can equip a few weapons extra weapons onto the mech, while other players can use the turret on top.
Shield of Retribution
- Adds a Railgun to Iron Bear
- Fires electrified high-voltage projectiles that deal shock damage.
- Adds a Minigun to Iron Bear
- Is capable of sustainable rapid-fire
- It used for too long the minigun will become inoperable for a limited amount of time
- V_35 Grenade Launcher
- Adds a V-35 grenade launcher to Iron Bear
- Grenades fired are not affected by Mozes equipped grenade mod
FL4K – Beastmaster class from Borderlands 3
FL4k is a wandering robot on a quest for self-discovery, who always brings one his three loyal animals into the heart of the battle. He feels a connection to the animal kingdom and finds the social constructs of humans to be baffling.
For FL4Ks action skill, he has a choice between three different pets – a Spiderant, a Skag, and a Jabber – who each have their own unique abilities.
- Action Skill: Rakk Attack
- Pet: Spiderant Centurion
- Action Skill: Gamma Burst
- Pet: Guard Skag
- Action Skill: Fade Away
- Pet: Jabber Sidekick
Zane – the Operative class from Borderlands 3
Zane was born into the notorious Flynt family: he is an almost retired corporate hitman who has always got a gadget up his sleeve. He uses a range of devices and partnered with his mercenary experience he is a force to be reckoned with.