Ian Wright is convinced Arsene Wenger would not walk away from Arsenal, and he believes the Frenchman must have been sacked by the north London club.
On Friday, Wenger announced his 21-year tenure as Arsenal boss would be coming to an end when the 2017/18 season finishes
The Gunners have struggled in the Premier League this campaign and face a second season of finishing outside of the top four.
Wenger has come in for criticism from fans in the last year and Wright, who won the title during the Frenchman's early years at Arsenal, believes the club took the decision to end his long stay.
"Arsene Wenger is a man of principle, honesty and integrity – that is why I am convinced he has been sacked and not resigned," Wright said in The Sun.
"For all the vitriol and abuse thrown at him, Arsene has never been a man to walk out before the end of a contract.
"It is a sad situation that it's come to this and I don't suppose we will ever find out who is responsible, because they will hide behind each other.
"One day he is doing a press conference with no hint of this, the next he's gone. It doesn't add up.
"But Arsene can go with his head high. That's why, whatever the results, it is imperative he gets the send-off a true Arsenal and football legend deserves. We all owe him so much."
Former team-mate Martin Keown – a three-time title winner under Wenger – expects his old manager to be grieving.
"My overwhelming emotion is one of sadness," Keown told the Daily Mail.
"Beyond his family, Arsenal and football are Arsene Wenger's two greatest loves. To give up one of them will feel like a bereavement.
"That is what it felt like to me when my time with the club ended. I spent 18 years of my career there and, even now, I still have not really got over leaving. To leave Arsenal Football Club hurts to the very core.
"For many of Wenger's former players – myself included – it will feel like a part of them is gone from the club forever following his departure."