American Football

Bristol City 1-2 Wolves: Championship leaders edge past Robins in bad-tempered contest

Ryan Bennett headed an injury-time winner to put Wolves ten points clear at the top of the Championship with a 2-1 win at Bristol City that saw both sides finish with 10 men.

The substitute pounced to convert a Barry Douglas free-kick from the right and send the Wanderers fans behind the goal into ecstasy at the end of an action-packed game.

Wolves had skipper Danny Batth red-carded for a 14th-minute challenge on Hordur Magnusson, sliding in with studs raised 35 yards from City's goal.

Four minutes later visiting boss Nuno Espirito Santo was sent to the stands by referee Peter Bankes, apparently for words spoken to the fourth official.

Bobby Reid fired City in front with his 13th goal of the season on 53 minutes, a low shot from twelve yards from Jamie Paterson's pass, and all seemed to be going well for Lee Johnson's men.

But it became ten against ten on 64 mnutes when City goalkeeper Frank Fielding was rightly sent off for bringing down Matt Doherty and preventing a clear scoring chance.

The hosts sent on Luke Steele to replace Fielding between the posts but his first job was to pick the ball out of the net when beaten by a well struck Douglas free-kick from 25 yards.

Wolves looked the more likely winners in the closing stages, but left it so late as both teams committed to attack.

City almost took a sixth-minute lead when Paterson's glancing header from Magnusson's cross was brilliantly saved by John Ruddy, who had to make another smart save to keep out Reid's close-range shot with only nine minutes on the clock.

Batth's dismissal was followed by a quick substitution as Nuno sent on defender Bennett for striker Leo Bonatini.

Then the Wolves boss received his marching orders after showing his annoyance at a free-kick on the edge of the box being awarded instead of a penalty for a foul by Aden Flint on Diogo Jota.

The free-kick saw Douglas curl his shot against the post and at that point Wanderers could have been forgiven for thinking it was not their day.

But the ten men defended with excellent organisation and tenacity for the rest of the first half, giving City precious few sights of goal.

With that in mind, Johnson sprang a surprise at the start of the second period, switching big centre-back Flint up front alongside Reid.

It was Reid who broke the deadlock, ending a slick passing move involving Josh Brownhill and Paterson with a clinical finish.

But Wolves refused to buckle and Fielding's rash charge from his line to halt Doherty's run onto an Ivan Cavaleiro pass saw Douglas level.

Flint resumed his defensive duties and Wolves began to exert pressure, with substitute Cavaleiro twice going close before Bennett had the final say.

Original Article

The post Bristol City 1-2 Wolves: Championship leaders edge past Robins in bad-tempered contest appeared first on News Wire Now.

Leave a Reply