Everton are ‘close’ to appointing a new manager, the club’s majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri has told talkSPORT.
The Toffees are still yet to find a permanent successor to Ronald Koeman, one month after giving the Dutch coach the boot.
David Unsworth has failed to lift the side during his stint as caretaker boss and oversaw the humiliating 5-1 defeat at home to Atalanta in the Europa League on Thursday.
Unsworth has repeatedly admitted he was keen on getting the job full-time, but it appears the club are finally ready to bring in a new man to get Everton back on track.
Speaking exclusively to talkSPORT host Jim White, Moshiri said: “The first priority is to stabilise the club and finalise the appointment of a manager. WE ARE CLOSE.
“It is really best to say nothing more until a new management team is appointed and we climb up the table.
“The media reports are unfair, but are best answered with performances.”
Unsworth has repeatedly admitted he was keen on getting the job full-time. He was hoping to stake his claim during his spell as caretaker, but if anything it has proven he is not yet ready to make the step up from Under-23s coach to the top level.
In his six games, Everton have beaten Watford 3-2, claimed a 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace and suffered four defeats. They have also conceded two or more goals in every game he has been in charge.
The Toffees have faced ridicule for their drawn-out search for a new manager, amid reports linking the club with outlandish moves for Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone and former Bayern Munich boss Carlo Ancelotti.
Watford coach Silva was thought to be Moshiri’s first choice to replace Koeman, but the Toffees saw a big-money offer – thought to be around £10million in compensation – rejected by the Hornets, who are determined to keep their in-demand boss.
RB Leipzig sporting director Ralf Rangnick was another man linked with the role, having previously interviewed for the Goodison Park job in 2013 before eventually losing out to Roberto Martinez.
However, the 59-year-old is expected to sign a new deal to stay at the Bundesliga club, with German football expert Raphael Honigstein recently telling talkSPORT that Everton have no chance of luring Rangnick away.